Unity Homes are healthy because of what we build into them, and what we keep out. At Unity we’re serious about health, and that means building homes that are seriously healthy. After all, we spend about two-thirds of our lives in our homes.
How do we make homes that are seriously healthy? We design and build them to have plenty of fresh air and natural light, and to be quiet, comfortable and free of harmful materials.
All Unity Homes have:
- Fresh Air: In homes that are not properly ventilated, indoor air pollutants such as radon, carbon monoxide or VOCs can accumulate and potentially cause health issues. Every Unity Home is equipped with a balanced ventilation system that continuously supplies filtered fresh air to the home through clean, sealed ducts.
- Healthy Materials: Many homes contain materials that off-gas harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The materials that make up a Unity Home are carefully chosen to minimize these indoor air pollutants. Our materials meet the requirements of the EPA’s Indoor airPlus program.
- Moisture Management: Homes in which moisture is not properly managed can provide an environment for mildew, mold and mites. These can contribute to allergies, asthma and other respiratory difficulties. Thanks to tight construction, proper exterior detailing and continuous ventilation, moisture is well-managed in Unity Homes.
- Even Temperatures: Homes that are drafty, hot and cold are not only uncomfortable, they are also unhealthy. Thanks to thick walls, air-tight construction and triple glazed windows, Unity Homes tend to have consistent temperatures, and be draft-free.
- Easy Cleaning: Staying healthy is difficult in a home that is hard to keep clean. The airtight construction of a Unity Home minimizes the possibility that dust, pollen other contaminants will enter the home, and the hard surfaces found in our homes—including wood flooring and tile—make cleaning a breeze.
In addition to these very tangible connections between health and high performance, there are other, subtler ways in which our homes contribute to health.
Because stress can exacerbate health issues, a home that minimizes stress supports health. Unity Homes are built to be solid, quiet, secure and low-maintenance, with operating costs that are low and predictable. Visitors to our show home in Walpole often comment on the sense of calm that permeates the space; they might see a car drive by, but not hear it. Our houses become peaceful refuges from a busy and chaotic world.
Read more about indoor air quality — breathing easy in a Unity Home.